New Colombo Plan Scholarship UGTR1037
Second year students, Third year and above
For 1 year
The New Colombo Plan (NCP) is a signature initiative of the Australian Government that aims to lift knowledge of the Indo-Pacific in Australia and strengthen our people-to-people and institutional relationships, through study and work placement undertaken by Australian undergraduate students in the region.
The New Colombo Plan Scholarship is a prestigious and competitive program that provides the opportunity for Australian undergraduates to undertake up to one academic year of exchange in one of the approved locations. The program also includes provision for relevant language studies, internship / mentorship and community engagement components.
UNSW is calling for expressions of interest from students planning to go on Student Exchange to one of the approved destinations in 2023. UNSW will nominate up to 10 students to apply to the prestigious Scholarship Program.
2023 NCP Scholarship Programs can be conducted in approved Indo-Pacific Host Locations where UNSW has an Exchange Agreement including P.R. China, India, Hong Kong SAR, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam. It is important you are flexible with your exchange locations, and you will be asked to indicate your location preferences in the Expression of Interest form.
Please note: UNSW continues to review and monitor the COVID-19 situation and relies on advice from Australian Federal Departments as well as the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade for travel related matters. Overseas travel is dependent on this advice and a final decision on any travel is made by members of the UNSW Senior Management team. We recommend you are flexible with your plans.
To be eligible for nomination you must:
- be an Australian citizen;
- not be a current citizen or permanent resident of your proposed host location(s);
- be enrolled in and undertaking, until completion of all study components of the NCP Scholarship Program, at least one Bachelor Degree or Bachelor Honours Degree;
- be between 18 and 30 years of age (inclusive) on 1 January 2023;
- have achieved a minimum 70 per cent graded average or equivalent for your undergraduate course at the time of Application;
- be planning to undertake a Student Exchange in 2023. The Term 1 2023 Exchange application deadline is 29 April 2022 and the Term 3 2023 Exchange application deadline is 7 September 2022;
- receive credit from your Exchange towards your UNSW degree;
- satisfy the NCP Study component;
- not be a previous recipient of a Scholarship under the NCP Scholarship Program;
- not be an employee of the branch of DFAT that administers the NCP.
Before applying, please ensure you:
- read the NCP Scholarship Program Guidelines and Advice to Applicants. You will need to register and login to access the guidelines.
- review the Student Exchange Moodle tutorial and are aware of the Exchange application process and deadlines
Applicants will be assessed against the following criteria. You should address each criterion and limit your responses to 300 words per criterion.
- Demonstrated academic excellence at the tertiary level
- Evidence of leadership and engagement in the community
- Adaptability and resilience skills
- Ability to contribute to New Colombo Plan objectives and outcomes
To Apply: please complete the Expression of Interest form by 11:45pm 15 May 2022.
Applicants may be required to attend an interview.
You are not able to apply for this scholarship through My Application Online - UNSW Scholarships.
Specific application form for this scholarship (see under Selection Criteria)